Michael Giacchino Had Only Four Weeks To Score ‘Rogue One’

Oscar-winning film composer Michael Giacchino, was brought in last minute to score the upcoming stand-alone Star Wars movie, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Original composer Alexandre Desplat, had to drop out of composing the movie due to scheduling conflicts from the movie’s reshoots.

Image of Michael Giacchino

Giacchino has scored films like Up, The Incredibles, and Star Trek. He’s also scored video games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty. 

Right after scoring Doctor Strange, Giacchino said he got the call the work on this movie. Right after scoring this movie, he has to work on Spider-Man:Homecoming. He said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly he was given exactly four and a half weeks to write

“Yes, literally the last thing I expected I’d be doing this month would be this,” Giacchino said. “I mean we were literally planning a vacation when I got the call asking if I could come and talk to them about it. At the time, it left me with literally four and a half weeks to write”

Coming up for the score wasn’t the hard part for Giacchino, because he had wanted to score a Star Wars his whole life. The hardest part was the timing.

” I saw the film and I really, really, really enjoyed it, so there was no lack of ideas or inspiration, that’s for sure,” Giacchino said. “The only worry the whole time for me was just the schedule. But I mapped it out and I thought, okay, if I do this much a day and I get this done that will leave me time to go back and improve if I need to before having to orchestrate.”

Giacchino said he had not listened to what Desplat had composed, and only wanted to focus on the music he had. He does not know the details of Desplat’s departure, besides what was reported. The most important thing for composing this score was putting a lot of emotions in the score. He said there’s a lot of emotion in this movie, and that’s what drew him to this project.

“It is a film that is in many ways a really great World War II movie, and I loved that about it,” said Giacchino. “But it also has this huge, huge heart at the center of it, and that was the one thing I just didn’t want to discount. Yes, it’s an action movie, and it’s a Star Wars film, and it has all the things that you would come to expect and love about that, but I didn’t want to forget that it was also an incredibly emotional movie as well. That was what really pulled me in. I love working on projects that have an emotional center to them”

There are elements of John Williams’ score, but Giacchino wanted to make his own unique score. He said about 95 percent of the score is completely original, while the other 5 percent takes some stuff from Williams.

Excitement can’t be higher for this movie, as fans once again crashed Fandango servers buying tickets when it went on sale. Hopefully Giacchino has something special in store for fans who were disappointed in last year’s score for Force Awakens. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story comes out December 16, and tickets are on sale now.

 

 

Source: Entertainment Weekly